Get to know Mayumi Shimada, New Residency Program Assistant
Hi everyone! I recently joined the UBC Pathology team. It is my pleasure to share a bit about myself. I was born in Japan and came to Vancouver when I was 18. I received my BA majoring in International Studies at SFU. I have lived in Vancouver for more than 10 years and I feel Vancouver is like my second hometown. Before joining UBC, I have worked at various educational institutions both in Canada and Japan for more than 7 years. I am very excited to start my career at the Pathology Dept. In my private life, I love to read, try new restaurants/cafes, and exercise at the gym.
The residency office was extremely busy over the last few weeks, with all the CARMS candidates interviewing for our 7 residency positions starting July 2019. We found out on Feb 26 who matched to our program, and we are very happy to welcome the following PGY1 residents July 1:
- Anatomical Pathology: Ardalan Akbari (UBC), Chen Yu (Jamie) Lee (Western), Collin Pryma (UBC) and Deepak Toor (Western)
- Hematopathology: Robert Guo (Western)
- Medical Microbiology: Suefay Liu (UBC)
- Neuropathology: Brenden Joseph (Western)
General Pathology Residency Program
Effective July 1, 2019 , the General Pathology residency program will be inactive.
Competence By Design
New this year, Anatomical pathology is the first of the Pathology Residency programs that will be implementing Competence By Design in July with our four new PGY1 residents. We are busily preparing for this transition. The incoming PYG1 residents will no longer spend 1 year doing a Basic Clinical Year. This has been reduced to 6 blocks. They will spend the first 2 blocks with Anatomical Pathology on orientation, and then the 6 clinical blocks and the remaining 5 anatomical pathology blocks will be scheduled throughout the rest of the year. The other PGY2-5 residents will remain on the traditional track.
Residents’ Graduation Dinner
The UBC Pathology Residents’ Graduation dinner will be held on Thursday May 16 at the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club.
- This year we have 10 residents graduating.
- Anatomical Pathology: Kenrry Chiu, Nissreen Mohammad, Daniel Owen, Jessica Saunders & Ema Todorovic
- Hematopathoogy: Maraym AlBakri, Krista Marcon and Hamish Nicolson
- Medical Biochemistry: Catherine Cheng
- Medical Microbiology: Lisa Li
- Two fellows will be completing their fellowships this year:
- John Aird – Gastrointestinal Pathology – Supervisor- Dr David Schaeffer
- Noorah AlMadani – Gynecological Pathology – Supervisors: Dr Blake Gilks and Dr Lien Hoang
Farewell to Dr. Pat Doyle
We said farewell to Dr Pat Doyle, past Program Director of the Medical Microbiology Residency Program at the Residency Training Committee meeting & wished him well on his retirement from clinical duties.